The purpose of this Blog is to aid the learning of Wisconsin Critical Language Follows Heritage Language Credit Project. It serves as a platform where all instructors and students can share, discuss and reflect. Some of your assignments will need to be posted on this blog.
2010-10-28
Asian American X
I agree with her list of "What they taught me ". The reason for that is because, that is what my family believe in however, her list of "What they didn't teach me" is also true because, in this world working hard is not enough you need to have the connection to the right people to get things done. In our world true friends are like your family they will aways be there for you and sometimes they are the ones that you tell everything to because, they know who you are and they sometime goes through the same thing as you so, they will not judge like some older family members would. My own process was like the author that wrote the Asian American X. The reason for that is because, my family and I moved to America when I was very young (younger then anyone else in our family that moved here). I don't know a lot of Chinese at all because, I've only been to first grade when I was in China. Then when I moved to the USA I had to learn English. Which made me forget a lot of the Chinese that I've learn when I was in China. My parents are thinking about sending me back to China to learn Chinese or getting a teacher to teach me online. In my opinion I think it's really annoying when ever I go back to China and people keeps asking me why don't I learn some Chinese when I'm in the USA ? I just tell them it's really hard to find someone to teach me Chinese when I live in a small town where there are not other Chinese people around and plus I don't really have time because of school work and sports.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You have some interesting thoughts. They would be easier to read with a little editing of punctuation...
ReplyDeleteI'm curious, do you feel that your opportunities to know about Chinese culture and to travel back there have enriched you, compared to some of your peers in the US who haven't had exposure to other cultures? I was one of those kids growing up, so I envy you! But I also see when I take my students to China that the Chinese American kids who don't speak fluently are held to a different standard (the other kids are praised a lot for equally imperfect Chinese, and the Chinese American kids are asked why they don't speak better), so I can understand you're finding it annoying. 很希望你上完了这门课会感到中文能力有所提高。加油!
对于很多中国父母来说,当孩子刚到美国,总是怕孩子说不好英文将来融不到美国的主流社会里。所以最开始会鼓励孩子只讲英文。一旦孩子的英文好了,想再回头抓好中文,就困难了。特别是如果你住在一个华人很少的社区,你没有所谓的“社会资源”就更困难。加油!很高兴你能上我们的这门课。为你感到骄傲!
ReplyDelete中国的父母用心良苦, 有时成了反效果。 学语言需要动机和环境,如果你有好的学习环境, 你会继续学吗?
ReplyDelete