1. My family has considered moving back to China several times, because of family back there and the fact that becoming fluent in Chinese would be more helpful for job searching later on in our futures. In addition to this, my parents could feel more comfortable living in China.
2. I think the author chose “Kitchen Chinese” as the title because the author’s lack of proficiency with Mandarin and her ability to only speak “kitchen Chinese” is the reason for many of the events in the book. Language plays a major role in this book – it prevents Isabelle from getting her wanted job, and it isolates her from the rest of the Chinese.
3. Chinese parents definitely have many more expectations for their children than American parents. This is probably because of the difficulties they had to face to immigrate here and give their children an easier life. Their children have a childhood easier than their childhood, so Chinese parents expect their children to do more.
4. Isabelle’s discovery of Chinese revealed to her the importance of learning more about her heritage and how she should not have neglected her Chinese education. The best way to understand about a foreign place is probably total immersion.
5. When I was in elementary school, I felt like a fish out of water the most – I had friends, but there were some kids that were and still are prejudiced. I learned to adapt by surrounding myself with good people and ignoring the racists – nowadays, I never see them anymore, and those that I do see don’t try to annoy me.
6. Yes, this probably is somewhat of a widespread stereotype – although I think that the “fat” stereotype is more common. I think people form their opinions of Americans from the Americans they see in the media – for example, television. I form my opinions of people on how they act.
非常好!我同意!
ReplyDelete种族岐视似乎在很多国家都有, 不能因为这样放弃教朋友。
ReplyDelete江漪,
ReplyDelete你说你家讨论过搬回中国去居住,那么你们有没有尝试呢?你是在美国出生的吗?你说当你在小学的时候你曾经历过一些种族歧视,很遗憾去听到这个消息。是呀,小的时候,小孩子不知深浅或者对错,有时候对朋友会非常残忍。还有就是中学时期,有些人会故意来伤害人,对于这些人就要知道该怎样保护自己。不要怕,要勇敢地维护自己的利益!
我同意你所说的“中国的父母经历过很多苦难,不希望这些会发生在自己孩子的身上,所以对孩子的要求比较多,期望值比较高。”
我很喜欢你写的东西,希望能够尽快看到你新的作业。
对了,你觉得“stereotype”该用中文怎么表达?